Hello from Geocaching Australia

You want to get involved in the Opencaching Network?
Antworten
CraigRat

Hello everyone,

My name is Craig, I'm a developer at Geocaching Australia,

While not a part of the OC network, we are very much similar in our approach to Free and Open Geocaching.

Basically this post is just me saing hello, and to let you know what some of our intentions are over the next year, hopefully we can do some co-operative things to help push forward!

I'm currently about to embark on writing an API for the site and I'm interested in using the same format as your network
At the moment I've not started, but have been looking at what's currently in use.
I have a copy of a document for an OC API that dariusz made, but it hasn't been edited in 120 days, and I am wondering where you guys are at with the specifications?

Also, one thing I'd like to see is a better common GPX format. Currently your networks use our 1.0 GPX format for your non-gc type, and we've developed a 1.1 version now which is better and works in Garmin units (and was based off your 'new' format', however the format you use doesn't appear to have a valid XSD for validating (our 1.0 and 1.1 formats have)

I'd love us to unify on a new format that handles most of the features across the sites, as it gives us a better chance at getting manufacturers and developers supporting a non-gc format.

Part of me was hoping that Garmin would adopt a GPX format that did not have the groundspeak:: namespaces,but the format they have run with is WORSE than the GC format, which is a pity!
I approached Garmin about possibly adopting the GCA format for their site, but I have only been told that they might support it on their 'import' tool, not as their sites native format.

Anyhow,

I'm looking forward to working with you, this upcoming year will be a big year for alternative geocaching sites!
DudleyGrunt

Welcome aboard, Craig!  Can I call you Craig?  Or do you prefer Mr. Rat?  ;D

I think it would be great if GA and the OC network could work together to further our common goals.
sp2ong

Hello from Poland (OC PL)  :)

Yes I think that we can work together on common Open GPX standard and API REST to exchange data.
OlofL

Regarding the gpx-format I did some work to make child waypoints work with gsak, it might be valuable input if you havn't solved that yet.
sp2ong

Hi Olof,
I have received from you this solution to use extension of GSAK and I have add to OC PL code to generate Additional Waypoints in GPX Format and now very nice working Additional WP from OC PL with GSAK. You can see for exmaple on cache:

http://www.opencaching.pl/viewcache.php?cacheid=8353&lang=en

But we are need work on definition of trackables in GPX (Like Geokrety.org or Swaggies GCAU or others) to deliver applications this info about contain trackable in geocache.
Zuletzt geändert von sp2ong am 23.12.2010, 19:01, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
solar22

Hello!

Welcome from Germany :)
We, oc.de, currently work on a API.
I propose JSON to create a simply API for end-users.
for example:
PHP get_file_contents("http://api.opencaching.de/api.php?request=getCacheByWP&token=Apitoken") #the application have to request a api token at first wirth &request=getApiToken

Now PHP print a XML within the JSON Output.

Now its very easy to work with this output.
Perhaps its good to encode the json output with the api token, so its possible to protect the string.

Other ideas or recommendations?

Greatings and happy christmas.

Alex 'solar22'
oliver

Hi Craig,

nice to meet you here :)

Regarding API:

This one was intended for inter-OC-site-replication (readonly until now). No real end-user API, but could be used for mass-downloading (and incremental synching) tools like GSAK within a specified region

http://www.opencaching.de/doc/xml/xml11.htm

Regarding GPX:

If you want i can send you the database structure of OC.de and sp2ong may send you the one of OC.pl - so would see what data the GPX format should be able to handle (IMHO pictures inside XML would be important).

With kind regards,
Oliver
alamostrail

Hello

Welcome from Spain (OC ES)
maltee_h

Hello from Germany!
Nice to meet you!  :)
dl6hbo

G'day Craig,

I'll be visiting your continent in January and March 2013.

Regards,
Rainer, dl6hbo
OC.de team
PSimon23

Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
Aldeyn

Yeah, post the link please.
Antworten