Garmin in dutch chat

You want to get involved in the Opencaching Network?
Antworten
zaanhoeve

Hello All,

Just to keep you all informed.

Jack from Garmin has been in the chat of gloablcaching.eu. As we predicted no real awnsers and the diffecult ones where not awnersed at all. Only a lot off advertising for Opencaching.com. and Garmin devises
zaanhoeve

Introduction:
I work for Garmin, I worked primarily for recreation and fitness products and, logically, I do lots of power with geocaching. I have my collegea, Brad, who sat beside me OpenCaching.com developed. We will try together as many of your questions.

Why is Garmin opencaching.com started?
We have done this to the growing group of geocachers in the world to support. We want to inspire more people to the hobby to pursue, ranging from schoolchildren to families and people of all ages. We think a contribution to make to this enjoyable hobby where every vote counts and where we want to offer information free of charge.

Why specifically the Garmin site and no integration into existing platforms?
By developing our own platform, we come closer to geocachers to assist and we can immediately get their feedback. We have no intention to replace the existing sites, we only want a different alternative.

So, no premium members?
No, not premium members. Anyone may submit any information. We also want to encourage novice geocachers and we want no extra charge you for obtaining information in order to paperless caching.

How does the segment is geocaching i.r.t. other segments in Garmin?
The outdoor and fitness market is a rapidly growing group. And while we see a clear link to the geocaching. We have no figures / numbers VWB gecoaching the segment, but it is certainly a large part of our outdoor recreation market. That is one reason why we have so many geocaching products introduced in recent years.

Can Garmin (Opencaching.com) state their intentions / connections with the organization Open Caching countries / sites and Opencaching.nl in particular?
We are not connected to the other open caching sites, we do have the same position on the openness that geocaching was needed and that we all want the hobby grows.

The chirp is a great addition to our hobby, is more likely? There will be developments such as chirps that sound, light or even images can drive?
As we continue to develop new technologies, but currently there are no new developments immediately. But that's why we think it an advantage that Garmin now has opencaching.com, because this kind of feedback we can use it well for further developments.

How many people work on / for opencaching.com?
I would not currently know (and believe me, I do not consciously secret). Several people from different departments (developers, IT, design, text) are doing and we're all really fun to do.

Do you have contacted Groundspeak for their cooperation?
We already have about 10 years worked with Groundspeak, eg including the launch of our Wherigo Colorado units. We all do what we see fit in the world of geocaching.

Garmin Colorado GPS devices introduced, followed by the series of touchscreen Oregon. But then came a number of devices with the 'normal' controls (62 series). Schaft Garmin (temporarily) off the touchscreen machines?
No, we certainly do not. Some people want to touch screen and some buttons. We want to offer all options. The GPSMAP 60 series was so popular that we knew a GPSMAP 62 series would be well received.

Are there plans to update the Wherigo Colorado and Oregon series?
There are no plans at this time, especially because we are so focused on the launch of OC.com.

Many geocachers use their smartpones If GPSr. Is it possible to develop apps for smartphones that chirps recognize? It would be an interesting market segment, I think.
Good question! We have already seen apps developed for OC.com, and we know a company - Wahoo Fitness - which develops an app for the chirp. Cache Me'is the app has already been developed for OC.com (for both Android and iPhone)

Are these apps available via the Android Market app store?
Market sure, but I have not checked the App Store

The technology is developing very rapidly. Garmin has enough staff to keep up and at the same quality maintenance on the older GPS systems?
Good point about fast technologies, and yes, we have many employees who always work hard to keep up but also to look ahead. And do not worry, they're all much smarter than me.

Just a few current updates, we have adapted the peer review system so that the more active cachers more input into the peer review system. This is an example of one of our adjustments occasion of the feedback from people. It's hard to believe that we only run one month, yet we have the opportunity for something to do with your feedback and new ideas to implement.

Is that why you are still on the site are BETA?
Good question, and yes, even when out of beta on the site, we will always continue to make changes if people need it. In my personal idea would be any good websites BETA, BETA means that if it is listening and that is developed.

So all garmin units have BETA firmware Cool
Yeah, so you could also say Laugh

Will there be a forum Opencaching.com?
That is already there: forums.opencaching.com - and we would like it a lot if you come from.

Why are the proximity alerts (yet) implemented in the Oregon GPS devices? This is a functionality that geocachers often.
Since I have no answer, but I will submit to the engineers.

Garmin has announced no new outdoor devices on CS2011. Are there any plans for a successor to the Oregon?
Good question, we introduce year-round outdoor / fitness products as Forerunners in marathons and Edge devices while bike shows. Let's say we have a few thousand engineers in this building, and they are always busy with something. Smile

There are also a kind of pocket queries OC.com?
You can now download at OC.com massive and it's easy for developers to the open API to make the process as you wish to streamline. But I personally love to all with a click to download.

Jake is the ultimate goal of Garmin opencaching.com with all other open caching country initiatives to add to opencaching.com?
Good question, do not hope, but we want to help everyone in our common goal of caching open, and as enjoyable as possible.

Why have you chosen specifically for open caching for your website? This is quite confusing for many geocachers
We try not to push for another open caching sites, we just want to emphasize openness of our site. Also, as a global company, we had to use a global service.

What do you think, for example, Magellan will also have its own cache listing service within a few years?
It is difficult to speculate about.

Why compete with Groundspeak instead of working? Would not that be easier for all geocachers?
We have worked long Groundspeak geocaching exists. But now we say the more options the better. " We offer all different options, and neither of us are trying to force people to choose one or the other.

Garmin made a good step in paperless caching when she made it possible to download GPX files to the devices. A next step would be a better support from the devices. Think for instance of an editor functionality for creating and reading notes. Is like functionality already planned?
I will submit to the developers. It's a good point for paperless caching.

Geocaching hobby remains a secret, or will there be a huge amount of advertising around the world?
We will certainly do our best to facilitate this activity, but we are also working to see what is best for the community as a whole.

Garmin geocaching name will be replaced by using open caching name in their manuals?
It will always be called geocaching, but we will probably OpenCaching.com because people point to the place where people can give us direct feedback and suggestions can do (such as peer review, open API, etc).

I would like opencaching.com support on my Zumo 660, can I?
You can download GPX files to your zumo (and other devices), but it does not show the paperless details.

Brad and I are going to do our best to come again soon, thanks!
mic@
Vereinsmitglied
Vereinsmitglied

Why have you chosen specifically for open caching for your website? This is quite confusing for many geocachers

We try not to push for another open caching sites, we just want to emphasize openness of our site. Also, as a global company, we had to use a global service.
That´s a poor answer from Garmin.
Why not choose http://www.globalcaching.com/  instaed if they want to be global.
Antworten