Nearest Garmin Caches Link

You want to get involved in the Opencaching Network?
Antworten
DudleyGrunt

At what point should we consider adding a link for "Find Geocaches on: Garmin"?  Obviously, there is some bad blood between Garmin and the REAL OC, but I do think that at some point, we should look at adding them to the options.  I would just recommend referring to them as "Garmin" and not "OpenCaching.com".

Thoughts?
oliver

I didn't heard anything about "bad blood". If you have more infos let me know it, please.

There are currently no plans to add garmin at oc.de.
DudleyGrunt

I use "bad blood" loosely, but I have gotten the impression that not many OC users are big fans of Garmin's use of the name and how (I understand) they misrepresented their pre-launch communications with the OC community to make it seem "we" were "on-board" with their use of it.

While I am no fan of their site, for various reasons, I think that if we are going to be consistent, it should be added to the options to search for nearest caches.  If we're going to have Navicache and even GPSgames, which are both on life support (IMO), then Garmin's site should be listed.

RVRoadTrip and I were just on the [url=http://geocachingpodcast.com/episode-216-opencaching-us-with-dudleygrunt-and-rvroadtrip/]Geocaching Podcast[/url] and I think we may have oversold that we offer links to "all" the active caching sites in the US.  Also we were complimented on how "politics" don't seem to be an issue.  This was in relation to how we allow for the use of Munzee's and even created an Attribute for them, while Groundspeak won't even allow them to be mentioned on cache pages or their forums.

This has made me wonder if it is "politics" that delayed adding them and am wondering at what point the OC community feels Garmin is at least as viable as Navicache and GPSgames and move to add links for their site.  As I mentioned, I'd recommend NOT referring to them as OpenCaching, but simply Garmin, if we do ever add them.
Antworten