Nothern Opencaching sites

You want to get involved in the Opencaching Network?
following

Opencaching.se/no sieht ziemlich tot aus: In 2012 waren es nur noch 21 neue Caches und ca. 100 Logs, in 2013 bis dato nur ein Cache und vier Logs - letztes Log vor zwei Monaten. :( Auf allen anderen OC-Seiten ist mehr los.

Opencaching.se/no looks dead: In 2012 there where 21 new caches and 100 logs, in 2013 up to day only one cache and four logs - the last one two months ago. :( There is more activity on all other OC sites.

Edit: added English translation
Zuletzt geändert von following am 03.04.2013, 23:42, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
mic@
Vereinsmitglied
Vereinsmitglied

[quote="following"]Opencaching.se/no sieht ziemlich tot aus...[/quote]

Wo wir schon im Norden sind: Was ist eigentlich mit http://www.opencaching.dk ?
Wer steckt dahinter...?!

Regarding northern sites: What happened with http://www.opencaching.dk ?
Who is responsible for this...?!

EDIT: english added
Zuletzt geändert von mic@ am 04.04.2013, 09:51, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Hanekju
Vereinsmitglied
Vereinsmitglied

[quote="following"]
Opencaching.se/no looks dead: In 2012 there where 21 new caches and 100 logs, in 2013 up to day only one cache and four logs - the last one two months ago. :( There is more activity on all other OC sites.
[/quote]
It seems the dutch OC-Site has got the same problem: Only one new Cache this year and the latest log is one month ago :( .
Mr.Yuck

[quote="Hanekju"]
[quote="following"]
[/quote]
It seems the dutch OC-Site has got the same problem: Only one new Cache this year and the latest log is one month ago :( .
[/quote]

I never noticed that on the Dutch site. I noticed they have 6,000 caches listed, but only now I notice they only have 500 found logs, and only 2 new caches in 2013.

Opencaching.jp (Japan) only existed for a year, from September 2010 to September 2011. It is now a dead link. It appeared to be a copy of the Opencaching.us site, when viewed on Archive.org

Opencaching.lv (Latvia) has still never been launched.
ra_sch
Micro
Micro

[quote="following"]
Opencaching.se/no sieht ziemlich tot aus: In 2012 waren es nur noch 21 neue Caches und ca. 100 Logs, in 2013 bis dato nur ein Cache und vier Logs - letztes Log vor zwei Monaten. :( Auf allen anderen OC-Seiten ist mehr los.

[/quote]

From what I read on the site they discourage double listings, so no wonder they have fewer new caches then others...

ra_sch
Mr.Yuck

[quote="ra_sch"]
[quote="following"]

[/quote]

From what I read on the site they discourage double listings, so no wonder they have fewer new caches then others...

ra_sch
[/quote]

I didn't mention it in what was my first post above, but I became an Admin for Opencaching.us last month. We strongly discourage double listings too, but we're doing much better than that!
following

The United States have somewhat 20 times the population of Sweden+Norway.

Opencaching.se+no have 275 active caches and 1519 founds, while Opencaching.us has 1176 caches and 2328 founds. So the SE/NO sites have performed much better than US, regarding the number of caches per citizen and the number of logs per cache.

In the recent time, SE/NO have become a bit "sleepy", but we are going to change that. :)
Zuletzt geändert von following am 21.04.2013, 15:46, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
mic@
Vereinsmitglied
Vereinsmitglied

[quote="following"]The United States have somewhat 20 times the population of Sweden+Norway.[/quote]

You forgot to mention that the U.S. are the country where geocaching was invented.
So an extra bonus to U.S., which makes the result of SE+NO even brighter.
Dr.Acula

Hi,

in summer 2014 I've visited denmark and sweden. While planing this trip I also took some OC-only caches from opencaching.no/se with me. Of course I've logged my founds after that trip. In december I am going for a trip to norway and so I've hoped again to visit some OC.no/se-only. But meanwhile the page is down for a long time and the URL redirects to opencaching.de.

Does anybody know, if OC.no/se is completely dead or just temporary down? What happened to all the caches, logs and photos?

Greetings from germany,
Dr.Acula
ra_sch
Micro
Micro

Hi,

I have no real information about the current status, only some background. In early summer (we, the c:geo-team was busy integrating more oc-nodes) I contacted the admin of oc.se whether he was interested in trying an OKAPI-integration and he answered me, that he rather has in mind to transfer all of oc scandinavia into opencaching.de...

Regards
ra_sch
Mr.Yuck

I get opencaching.se redirecting to opencaching.de, but when I try opencaching.no, absolutely nothing happens.  :)
dl6hbo

To me it seems that opencaching.no is redirected to opencaching.se which is visible by my ping test:
ping -c3 www.opencaching.no
PING www-oc.shyrtol.se (83.233.249.163) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- www-oc.shyrtol.se ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2016ms

As you can see, there is no reply to the ping request. :-(

Trying without the "www" part you get a different address:
ping -c3 opencaching.no
PING opencaching.no (94.255.241.21) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- opencaching.no ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2016ms

Food for thought, me thinks.
Dr.Acula

Hi,

[quote="ra_sch"]
I contacted the admin of oc.se whether he was interested in trying an OKAPI-integration and he answered me, that he rather has in mind to transfer all of oc scandinavia into opencaching.de...[/quote]

Obviously nothing has happened so far. I hope the admin of oc.se is going to do what he told you. I wouldn't like to see all the caches, logs, photos and users dumped. And I'm sure the other users in scandinavia won't approve that either. In summer there have been many caches in sweden, norway and denmark.

Greetings,
Dr.Acula
following

Two years ago, the Opencaching.de and .se/.no teams decided to merge the nothern sites to Opencaching.de. The last status was that I set up a test site for the migration, which is still running, and waited for a "go" from the se/no admin, which never came. Half a year later I left the OC.de team, and afaik noone else tried to pick up the migration task.

I have some doubt about the quality of the northern cache database. Due to the very low site activity in the years before shutdown - and zero activity thereafter - there may be lots of unmaintained caches and listings.
following

The  [url=http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://opencaching.se]Wayback machine[/url] shows that opencaching.se/no has been shut down in August or September 2014.

Here is the todo list for the se/no migration: http://redmine.opencaching.de/projects/oc-dev/issues?query_id=49

If there is someone who would like to take over this issue on behalf of Opencaching.de, please let me know. Otherwise, I suggest to close it.
Antworten