Current roadmap

Ideas and plans to talk about
Antworten
oliver

Hi @all,

the current situation is:

I have invited all opencaching-websites (except .com) to this forum.
You can see who participates until now here http://forum.geocaching-network.com/http://localhost//viewtopic.php?t=0 ).

We are working on the git-source to get it from beta-state to stable-release.
Some minor issues have to be fixed (see google code issues tracker).

Van de Bugger has pointed out our licensing conflicts.

I think our priority should be to get the source code to a stable version, so that opencaching.se can migrate to the new source. Then i can start to migrate opencaching.de to that source. The licensing issue (different licenses to different code files) is very important to be solved - but it slows down the development too much at the moment - what we realy need is to reach the next milestone, so that the work of the last months gets visible to the public. I think -then- its the right moment to check the license of the code and reimplement things that does not fit the requried license.

One word about reponse times:

We all have a real life job to do and a family and other hobbies. Some of us participate several years at the project and we have to find a good balance between "do all of the work as fast as possible" and "have fun for a long time". Sometimes it tooks several days for me to answer a email or forum posting in detail ... we should all be aware of this and dont be disappointed, just because the others dont answer within a certain time.

Kind regards,
Oliver
opencaching.su

> Van de Bugger has pointed out our licensing conflicts.

> I think our priority should be to get the source code to a stable version, so that opencaching.se can migrate to the new source. Then i can start to migrate opencaching.de to that source. The licensing issue (different licenses to different code files) is very important to be solved - but it slows down the development too much at the moment - what we realy need is to reach the next milestone, so that the work of the last months gets visible to the public. I think -then- its the right moment to check the license of the code and reimplement things that does not fit the requried license.

> One word about reponse times:

> We all have a real life job to do and a family and other hobbies. Some of us participate several years at the project and we have to find a good balance between "do all of the work as fast as possible" and "have fun for a long time". Sometimes it tooks several days for me to answer a email or forum posting in detail ... we should all be aware of this and dont be disappointed, just because the others dont answer within a certain time.

Oliver, I would like to clarify my position:

1. I did not "point out licensing conflicts".

2. I just saw that licensing issues were raised from time to time in various discussions, but without any resolution or decision.

3. I started looking into the code and tried to understand what is Opencaching source code and what is 3rd party libraries and tools, how it organized, and so on.

4. I do not mean to slower down your work, instead, I want to find something I could do. For example, I already sent few messages to different people with a request to clarify licenses (for example, whether is GPLv2 or "GPLv2 or any later"). As you noted, everybody has a job and family, so I do not expect quick reply to my queries. I may require very long time. But it means we have to start it as soon as possible.

5. I think it will not require many attention from you as soon as you make a decision about a license for code and content. Since then, you can focus on development, I can implement your decision by submitting patches with updated copyright, disclaimer, and copying clauses, work with authors of 3rd party libraries, etc.
oliver

Hi Van de Bugger,

no problem with your postings about licensing, realy no problem!

Please dont misunderstand the "response time" as written because of your postings (or any other specific person). It is the experience from many forums in the past that it often happens that peoples have to big expectations at the beginning of a new forum ...

[quote="Van de Bugger"]5. I think it will not require many attention from you as soon as you make a decision about a license for code and content. Since then, you can focus on development, I can implement your decision by submitting patches with updated copyright, disclaimer, and copying clauses, work with authors of 3rd party libraries, etc.
[/quote]

This point is very important for me:
It must be a decision from all of us.
Its not only my decision.

All peoples submitting code must accept our decision and therefore they should decide with us what way to go.

Kind regards,
Oliver
zaanhoeve

Now often there is a question asked end no or little response. This results normally in no decision.

I think it will help if there is a decision to make, there will be a poll with possibility's and a maximum response time.
opencaching.su

[quote="zaanhoeve"]
Now often there is a question asked end no or little response. This results normally in no decision.

I think it will help if there is a decision to make, there will be a poll with possibility's and a maximum response time.
[/quote]

The first thing we need to decide is a way to make other decisions... Possible ways are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_decision_making

I am personally ok with time-limited poll at the forum.
Antworten