Include a coordinate in the note

Ideas and plans to talk about
Antworten
oliver

Hi,

do we need this checkbox?

'Include a coordinate in the note'
(in viewcache)

If the user doesn't enter a coordinate, we store 0/0 ...

Kind regards,
Oliver
sva_cacher

Hi,

It's a usability issue. The checkbox makes it obvious to the user that the coordinate is optional.

Also, removing the coordinate is just a simple uncheck. Forcing the user to fill all the fields with zero is not user friendly.

Regards,
sva_cacher
oliver

[quote="sva_cacher"]Forcing the user to fill all the fields with zero is not user friendly.[/quote]

the fields are already filled with zero ... so the user does not need to enter anything ... just commit ...
sva_cacher

[quote="oliver"]
the fields are already filled with zero ... so the user does not need to enter anything ... just commit ...
[/quote]

If the user has previously included a coordinate in the note, but no longer wants it. That's what I meant by removing the coordinate.
Schrottie

If I have understand it correct, the checkbox for the coordinate also causes if there would be generated an additional waypoint in the gpx output or not. Is there only a note, the note would be outputted as cachelog (type: write note) in the gpx, is the coordinate checked, also the additional waypoint is outputted. Without the checkbox, a waypoint would be generated, whose coordinates are zero. Or is it a fallacy?  :-\
sva_cacher

[quote="Schrottie"]
If I have understand it correct, the checkbox for the coordinate also causes if there would be generated an additional waypoint in the gpx output or not. Is there only a note, the note would be outputted as cachelog (type: write note) in the gpx, is the coordinate checked, also the additional waypoint is outputted. Without the checkbox, a waypoint would be generated, whose coordinates are zero. Or is it a fallacy?  :-\
[/quote]

The value of the checkbox is not stored. Instead a zero coordinate is interpret as no coordinate. That's why Oliver asked the question in the first place. This also means that a zero coordinate will not be included in the gpx output.

The purpose of the checkbox is to make it easier for the user. The typical usage of the coordinate in the cache note is to store solution to mysteries or quiz, rather than having to enter the coordinate as text in the note field. Once you found and logged the mystery, you don't want the coordinate any more.
oliver

[quote="sva_cacher"]The purpose of the checkbox is to make it easier for the user. The typical usage of the coordinate in the cache note is to store solution to mysteries or quiz, rather than having to enter the coordinate as text in the note field. Once you found and logged the mystery, you don't want the coordinate any more.
[/quote]

I am not sure if the users really delete the coordinates after their log. Most cachers i know have some method to store the final position permanently (e.g. in a mapsource file). Maybe for future visits or to help other geocachers.

The reason why i ask is that we should add some javascript to the checkbox that disables and zeros the coordinates ... (or enables the fields again). The other reason is that the checkbox looks very ugly in IE8 (black border) ... before adding the JS code i wanted to ask, if its realy necessary ... the other option is a "delete" button that sets the text to zero ...

Another question: The personal cache note is not printed in viewcache_print.tpl ... does anybody see a problem if we print the personal cache note?
Schrottie

[quote="oliver"]
The other reason is that the checkbox looks very ugly in IE8...
[/quote]

In IE all looks very ugly, because IE is very ugly...  8)

[quote="oliver"]
Another question: The personal cache note is not printed in viewcache_print.tpl ... does anybody see a problem if we print the personal cache note?
[/quote]
I see no problems there. Let's do it so.
OlofL

With another checkbox "Use as corrected coordinte" the gpx would return this coordinate instead of the original leading to an easy solution for solved mysteries.
Antworten